Sunday 19 November 2017

Building my first Fujimi 1/24 Fairlady Watanabe Super Z

I have work on a number of Hot Wheels diecast customs and a couple of model kit in 1/35 as well as 1/12 scale. However been a mini car enthusiastic I have yet to work on a 1/24 scale model kit. In fact I have been admiring these 1/24 model cars through Model Cars Magazine by Neko publishing. I have a couple of 1/24 kits but has not work on them similar to many model cars collector reason being "Not enough time."

Hence while browsing through the July Issue I come across the feature of the Fujimi Yoroshiku Mecha Doc Series 3 Watanabe Super Z model. I decided to purchase it and left it aside while working on other stuffs before I start a month later.
Somehow I'm impressed by this Kit as it comes with the engine unlike Aoshima at the almost same price point. I am excited as well as it is the very first 1/24 I ever work on. Many things to try and experiment during the process. Of course I have look up on tutorials through Youtube and works shared by other collectors.
After washing away all the factory lubricant I was ready. First I do a mock up and sand the body with 3K Sanding Sponge from Tamiya especially those factory mould lines on the kit. There is nothing I can do for the clear part.
This is where I started to have a change of mind. I wanted to give this Fairlady a Devil Z theme from Wangan Midnight. Of course it is not 100% accurate as the Manga Version but its a theme I wanted. After priming I spray the body with Tamiya TS-51 Racing Blue. In fact I have not work with spray can for a while but I sort of like the midnight blue shade. The image above is without gloss coat.
I'm also toying with the idea should I change it to a 14" SSR mesh wheels which I painted from an Aoshima Wheelset kit a while back but eventually settle for the stock Watanabe Wheels.
Decals applied with a coupe of gloss coats. Set it aside for a few days before wet sand, polish and wax. Now need to work on the details, chrome trimmings and buck up on the interior. No modification is made for my first try I just purely follow the instruction kit to assemble.
Concurrently working on the 1/64 Hot Wheels scale Custom Datsun 240Z as well with the intent of a similar Devil Z theme. The one beside is my earlier work which I fitted with a Gas Monkey Engine and lowered it with cambered Star Wheels.
This is the reason why I love this kit. Unlike most of 1/24 Aoshima it comes with an engine although it may never see the light after body assembly. May do a opening hood after a few more go.
Interior mostly with matt black and chasis done. Added details for the stock Watanabe Wheelset as well.
Working on details such as light fittings, mirrors etc.
Due to work schedule I set it aside for 2 weeks plus before returning to complete it. The chrome trimming application is painstaking but definitely worth it. I apply another coat of wax before photo session. More photos of my finished work below.

Unlike 1/64 Hot Wheels customs. A 1/24 modelling required a lot of details even on the the most basic component. Overall I learn a lot from the process and hope to apply it to my 1/64 works. More photos below and be sure to follow me @hotkustoms in Instagram and Youtube channel for more updates.

9 comments:

  1. Very nice build, I've just purchased the same kit after looking at your blog, I too wanted and engine kit, thanks for this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot!
    cash for cars brisbane
    cars for cash brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.
    cash for cars sunshine coast
    cash for cars ipswich
    cash for cars sunshine coast

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to thank you for the efforts you've put in writing this website. I am hoping to see the same high-grade blog posts from you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my own blog now ;).
    cash for cars hobart
    car removal hobart

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drywall's adaptability makes it suitable for both residential and commercial spaces

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lane-keeping assist feature is great for highway driving. top rated locksmiths in St. Petersburg FL

    ReplyDelete