Sunday 14 January 2018

Diecast browsing in Bangkok

During the 2017 December school holiday we organise a trip to Bangkok with majority of our family members. Personally it’s considered my first trip given that I have not been to Bangkok for 12 years. I am very happy during my stay in the land of smiles and catch up with my Thai buddy which I finally met in person.

So much changes and development to the beautiful city with tons of attractions and most importantly safe. Unlike Japan I do not come with the intention of hunting diecast as the toys in Thailand are generally scarce and expensive compared to other Asia regions. 

But of course been a diecast collector and hunter I took some opportunity out of my planned schedule with my big group of family members to look for toys with my 10 year old daughter whenever possible.

Central World Toy ‘R’ US
My first stop is at Central World Toy ‘R’ US after our dinner. Majority of the diecast brands such as Hot Wheels, Tomica and Majorette are actually at the same pace with Singapore. Apart from Majorette which are relatively cheaper the rest of the brands are more expensive especially Tomica.
The Hot Wheels are on sale at 15% but clearly the good ones are gone.


Similar Tomica TRU promotion with Singapore with the latest TRU exclusive. Never buy any.

Similar range as Singapore except for the Tuk Tuk exclusive set and Gran Turismo Mitsubishi Concept 
XR-PHEV in special color.

7-11
As shared by my buddy Wantawat Kongmum a.k.a @mangagarage in I.G actually most of the 7-11 stores throughout Bangkok do sell Hot Wheels and Majorette but in small numbers. 
Pick up the Ford Mustang and VW Bus Limited Edition single pack in Chatuchak pets section which 
are otherwise sold as a set of 5 in Singapore.


Siam Paragon
Drop by the toys department after dinner. It is quite a huge section almost similar to our departmental stores in Takashimaya Singapore if not bigger. I actually went back empty-handed as the prices are so much more expensive than online especially Tomica.



For Hot wheels the mainlines are 2018 B Case which is slightly faster pace than Singapore during December but obviously the good ones are gone. Come across some nice Dodge A100 for the pop culture series but got to leave them behind as it cost 395 baht! (Avg 12.10 USD) this is actually the most expensive in  Retro / Pop / Car Culture series in the world given the fact ,most of them are made in Thailand! With such prices even the F&F Skyline R34 are gone! For that I did a poll and price research on IG and FB as well.



Take a look at the price breakdown contributed by fellow collectors worldwide from the most expensive.
Thailand - Average 12 USD
Brunei - Average 11.10 USD
Brazil - Average 10 USD
U.K - Average 10 
Taiwan - Average 9.5 USD
Myanmar - Average 9.2 USD
Sri Lanka - Average 9 USD
Indonesia - Average 9 USD
Philippines - Average 8.80 USD
Australia - Average 7.60 USD
Hong Kong - Average 7.60 USD
Singapore - Average 7.30 USD
Japan - Average 6.20 USD
Vietnam - Average 6 USD
Malaysia - Average 5.80 USD
Canada - Average 4.90 USD
USA - Average 4.5 USD
India - Not available.
China - Not available.
Spain - Not available.
Switzerland - Not available.
In addition 64% will buy the F&F Skyline R34 retail at 12 USD Vs 36% not buying based on my poll in Instagram @hotkustoms
Shocking isn’t it? Comparing the prices between Thailand Vs USA.


Manga Garage
I also have the pleasure to catch up with my pal Wantawat Kongmum a.k.a @mangagarage  for a beer during my stay. I have been following him in I.G for a while. @mangagarage is one of the most talented diecast customizer in Thailand. He has a range of amazing diecast custom in his account to share and inspire collectors worldwide. Clean, sleek as well as creative works. I like to thank him for the time and sharing tips on customising with me. He is also one of the very established DJ in Thailand.

He highly recommend me to Mega Plaza for diecast hunting which is near to his studio. I will definitely pay a visit next time! Thanks for the time buddy!


Central Plaza
Similar to the one at Central World. The toys department carries various diecast brands as well. This is also the only store where Greenlight could be found. Prices for Greenlight is almost simlar to Singapore with a broader range except there are no Green Machines chase to be found when I was there. Hence I left empty handed.


No chase 



Tomica in plastic.

Stanley Museum at Gateway Ekamai
Took some time during my last day to visit Stanley claimed as Asia largest 1:87 miniature museum. For Otaku fans there is also a One Piece Flag ship store located with various merchandises.
One Piece Store with various merchandises for the fans.

In my opinion Stanley Museum is ok for a one time visit it is especially great for kids. You can see the kids including my own the temptation to touch those diorama displays lol. Display wise are pretty quite static except for the trains. Of course a couple of interesting mini cars can be found as well.

Limited diecast merchandise.
Nice treatment.





Suvarnabhumi Airport
Left the Hako and CRX behind for others before returning home. I will definitely visit Bangkok with my family again and hope to catch up with the rest of my friends!

1 comment:

  1. please detailing tell about the shop? (Suvarnabhumi Airport)

    ReplyDelete